SDSU Moves On To MW Women's Tennis Finals
April 28, 2012
SAN DIEGO - The third-seeded San Diego State women's tennis team advanced to the championship match of the 2012 Mountain West Women's Tennis Championship with a 4-1 win over second-seeded and 48th-ranked UNLV on Saturday at Aztec Tennis Center. SDSU will face top-seeded TCU in the tournament final tomorrow at 2 p.m. PT.
San Diego State jumped out to a 1-0 advantage after winning the doubles point with victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. After the Aztecs' tandem of Emma Cioffi and Laura Antonana Iriarte downed Ella Bourchier and Anett Banko, 8-2, at No. 3, Alicia Aguilar and Julia Wais gave San Diego State the first point of the match with an 8-1 win at the No. 2 position.
Alicia Aguilar earned the second point for the Aztecs by securing a straight-sets victory over Manon de Lanlay (6-2, 6-4) at No. 4 singles. SDSU increased its lead to 3-0 when Sierra Ellison picked up a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Bourchier at the No. 5 spot in the lineup. UNLV responded with its lone team point of the match, as Josifoska posted a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Cioffi at the second singles position.
Antonana Iriarte secured the match for the Aztecs with a 6-3, 7-6 (5) win over Nives Pavlovic at the No. 3 singles spot.
Third-Seeded San Diego State 4, Second-Seeded UNLV 1
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. Lucia Batta/Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) vs. Sierra Ellison/Roxanne Ellison (SDSU), 5-2, unfinished
2. Julia Wais/Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Aleksandra Josifoska/Manon de Lanlay (UNLV), 8-1
3. Emma Cioffi/Laura Iriarte Antonana (SDSU) def. Ella Bourchier/Anett Bako (UNLV), 8-2
1. Lucia Batta (UNLV) vs. Julia Wais (SDSU), 5-7, 5-5, unfinished
2. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Emma Cioffi (SDSU), 7-5, 6-4
3. Laura Iriarte Antonana (SDSU) def. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Manon de Lanlay (UNLV), 6-2, 6-4
5. Sierra Ellison (SDSU) def. Ella Bourchier (UNLV), 6-3, 6-3
6. Kristin Buth (SDSU) vs. Anett Bako (UNLV), 4-6, 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 2
Singles: 4, 5, 2, 3