Boise State Defeats TCU In Men's Tennis Semifinals
April 28, 2012MW Conference2012 MW Tennis Championship CentralSAN DIEGO -
The top-seeded and 38th-ranked Boise State men's tennis team defeated fourth-seeded TCU, 4-0, on Saturday afternoon at Aztec Tennis Center to advance to the Mountain West Men's Tournament championship match.
The Broncos earned the doubles point with a narrow win at the third position. The Boise State tandem of James Meredith and Nathan Sereke defeated Daniel Sanchez and Max Stevens (8-3) at No. 1, but TCU answered back with a victory by Nick Chappell and Will Stein (8-6) at the No. 2 spot. In the deciding match, Andy Bettles and Filipp Pogostkin netted an 8-5 win over J.T. Sundling and Blake Wiggins to secure the first point of the dual for the Broncos.
Pogostkin notched a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Stein at the No. 5 position to give Boise State a 2-0 advantage. Moments later, Nathan Sereke put the Broncos ahead 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles.
Boise State's Scott Sears notched a 6-2, 7-6 (4) win over Wiggins at the sixth singles position to secure the match in the Broncos' favor.
Top-Seeded Boise State 4, Fourth-Seeded TCU 0Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.Doubles
1. James Meredith/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Daniel Sanchez/Max Stevens (TCU) 8-3
2. Nick Chappell/Will Stein (TCU) def. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU), 8-6
3. Andy Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. J.T. Sundling/Blake Wiggins (TCU), 8-5Singles
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) vs. James Meredith (BSU), 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
2. Damian Hume (BSU) vs. Facundo Lugones (TCU), 7-5, 5-3, unfinished
3. Andy Bettles (BSU) vs. J.T. Sundling (TCU), 7-6 (3), 1-1
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Daniel Sanchez (TCU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Will Stein (TCU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Blake Wiggins (TCU), 6-2, 7-6 (4)Order of finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 5, 4, 6