TCU Downs UNLV In Men's Tennis Quarterfinals
April 27, 2012
SAN DIEGO - Facundo Lugones earned the fourth point at No. 2 singles as fourth-seeded TCU defeated fifth-seeded UNLV, 4-1, in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Mountain West Men's Tennis Championship in San Diego, Calif. The Horned Frogs will face No. 1 Boise State in the semifinals at 10 a.m. PT on Saturday, April 28 at the Aztec Tennis Center.
The Rebels earned the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. The UNLV duo of Tamas Batyi and Johannes Markel won at the top of the lineup, 8-6, over Daniel Sanchez and Max Stevens, while the duo of Bernard Schoeman and Brian Kenyon helped the Rebels secure the doubles point with an 9-8 victory over Nick Chappell and Nick Stein at the No. 2 spot.
TCU evened the score at 1-1 after Chappell, the MW Freshman of the Year award recipient, picked up a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Ruegamer at the top of the singles lineup. The Horned Frogs jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the dual after Stevens earned a 7-6 (7-3), 6-1 decision over Charlie Alvarado at the sixth spot and J.T. Sundling secured a 6-1, 7-6 (8-6) victory over Brian Kenyon at the third singles position.
Lugones put the win away for the Horned Frogs with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Bayti.
Fourth-Seeded TCU 4, Fifth-Seeded UNLV 1
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. Johannes Markel/Tamas Batyi (UNLV) def. Daniel Sanchez/Max Stevens (TCU), 8-6
2. Bernard Schoeman/Brian Kenyon (UNLV) def. Will Stein/Nick Chappell (TCU), 9-8
3. J.T. Sundling/Blake Wiggins (TCU) def. Alvarado/Alex Bull (UNLV), 8-5
1. No. 125 Nick Chappell (TCU) def. Rene Ruegamer (UNLV), 6-2, 6-0
2. Facundo Lugones (TCU) def. Tamas Batyi (UNLV), 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
3. J.T. Sundling (TCU) def. Brian Kenyon (UNLV), 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) vs. Alex Bull (UNLV), 7-5, 6-6, unfinished
5. Will Stein (TCU) vs. Willie Sublette (UNLV), 4-6, 6-4 unfinished
6. Max Stevens (TCU) def. Charlie Alvarado (UNLV), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 1, 6, 3, 2