New Mexico Defeats Air Force In Men's Tennis Quarterfinal
April 27, 2012
SAN DIEGO - No. 66 and third-seeded New Mexico defeated sixth-seeded Air Force, 4-0, in the quarterfinal round of the 2012 Mountain West Men's Tennis Championship Friday at Aztec Tennis Center. The Lobos used their doubles-point victory to fuel their winning effort in singles competition.
New Mexico secured two quick doubles wins to take the early lead. Carl Ho and James Hignett wasted little time in their 8-1 win over Steven Young and Alex Lineberry at No. 3. Then at the second position, Conor Berg and Ben Dunbar defeated Alex Grubbs and Andy Jackson, 8-3.
In singles, New Mexico's Phil Anderson won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, in his match vs. Landon Kinsey at No. 3. The Lobos moved ahead, 3-0, when Berg downed Young at No. 4, 6-0, 6-1. The clincher occurred at the second slot where Dunbar beat Grubbs, 6-3, 6-3.
New Mexico moves on to Saturday's semifinal against second-seeded San Diego State. First serve is set for 10 a.m. PT at Aztec Tennis Center.
No. 66 Third-Seeded New Mexico 4, Sixth-Seeded Air Force 0
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. No. 58 Phil Anderson/Jadon Phillips (UNM) vs. Lance Wilhelm/Grant Taylor (AF), 4-3 unfinished
2. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Alex Grubbs/Andy Jackson (AF), 8-3
3. Carl Ho/James Hignett (UNM) def. Steven Young/Alex Lineberry (AF), 8-1
1. Jadon Phillips (UNM) vs. Lance Wilhelm (AF), 6-1, 5-7 unfinished
2. Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Alex Grubbs (AF), 6-3, 6-3
3. Phil Anderson (UNM) def. Landon Kinsey (AF), 6-1, 6-0
4. Conor Berg (UNM) def. Steven Young (AF), 6-0, 6-1
5. Sam Iftikhar (UNM) vs. Alex Lineberry (AF), 6-1, 5-3 unfinished
6. Carl Ho (UNM) vs. Andy Jackson (AF), 6-1, 5-0 unfinished
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 2
Singles: 3, 4, 2